Prenatal care is vital for you and for your baby. It’s important to see a doctor regularly to make sure you and the baby are healthy.
What you can do:
- Check with your doctor before taking any over-the-counter medicines
- Take a prenatal vitamin with 400 – 800 mcg of folic acid every day
- Avoid x-rays (make sure you tell your doctor or dentist that you are pregnant)
- Talk to your doctor about any medication that you are taking
- Make sure you drink plenty of fluids every day, especially water
- Eat as healthy as you can, making sure to get plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and calcium
- Avoid cold lunch meats or undercooked meats or eggs
- Wash your hands often to avoid illness
- Avoid hot tubs and saunas
If you have questions about safety during pregnancy, check with your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor, please call us today and we will help you find one.
When you talk to your doctor about childbirth, be sure that you understand all the options available to you. You can make decisions about natural birth or an epidural. You can decide who is able to be in the delivery room with you. There are many different decisions that are yours to make. Speak with your doctor and your Birthright counselor to ensure that you are informed on all the choices you have.American Pregnancy Association The American Pregnancy Association is a national health organization committed to promoting reproductive and pregnancy wellness through education, support, advocacy, and community awareness.